Coalitions Work Tools
We develop custom tools or adapt any of our existing tools. Download any of the following Microsoft Word document to help your coalition.
Coalition Start-Up Tools
- Is a Coalition Right for You?
A set of questions to help your group decide whether a coalition is the right organizational structure for meeting your group’s goals.
- Coalition Guides
5-part series of guides that describe 5 stages of coalition development: pre-formation, formation, implementation, maintenance and institutionalization. Each guide describes what to expect, structure and overall strategy, tasks and products/outcomes.
- Model Commitment Letter
A sample letter to use with coalition partners that outlines your vision for collaborative work and the responsibilities and resources that each organization or individual intends to commit to the effort.
- Checklist to Become a 501 c(3) Non-Profit Organization
A checklist that details the 15-steps to help your coalition become a non-profit organization.
- What Makes a Good Lead Agency?
A checklist of attributes that any good lead or fiscal agent should have in order to support the development and operation of a community coalition.
Coalition Planning Tools
- Plan Quality Index (PQI)
A checklist for staff and key leaders to assess the quality of community action planning efforts.
- State Plan Index (SPI)
A checklist for staff and key leaders to test the quality of state strategic plans.
- Coalition Action Plan Form
A template for developing annual coalition work groups action plans.
- Coalition Roles & Job Descriptions
Sample descriptions, duties and responsibilities, and qualifications that can be adapted for your coalition staff, volunteer leaders and members.
- Coalition Vision, Mission & Goals
Definitions of SWOT Analysis, coalition vision and mission statements, goals and strategies.
- Coalition Bylaw Contents
Description of coalition bylaw sections and their content.
- The Strategic Planning Process
8 steps to developing a customized strategic plan for your coalition
Coalition Building Tools
- Potential Member Grid
A table for recruiting organizational partners that lists their activities, accomplishments, contributions, self interests and potential conflicts.
- Am I a High Functioning Coalition Member?
A tool to help you self-assess your coalition roles and responsibilities.
- Am I a Transformational Coalition Leader?
A tool to help you self-assess whether you have what it takes (or are willing to learn) to become a leader for change.
- Stages of Team Building
1-page summary of 5-stages of team building: Forming, storming, norming, performing and mourning (or re-forming) – Great for coalition work groups.
- Coalition Meeting Check-Up
10 questions to help your coalition keep its meetings on track.
- Chair or Facilitator’s Meeting Guidelines
Guidelines to help coalition Chairs or facilitators plan their before, during and after meeting tasks.
- Guidelines for Coalition Meeting Etiquette
Guidelines for conduct among members that assures smooth, effective meetings.
- Meeting Agenda Template NEW!
- A tool for creating your meeting agenda and organizing your proposed meeting.
- Meeting Minutes Template
A tool for taking and sending minutes that are in easy-to-follow, brief tabular format.
- What Kind of Member Are You?
A role play activity where members assume defined roles and simulate a coalition meeting to show how individual attitudes and actions can help or hinder meeting progress
- Skills Inventory Worksheet
An inventory of member and leader attributes and skills that can help volunteers assess their potential contributions to the coalition.
- Member Orientation Packet
A description of items that might be featured in a 2-pocket member recruitment folder or virtual folder on your coalition website.
- Coalition Member Gap Analysis A group activity for determining the organizations and individuals who are missing from the table that could better represent your vital community sectors and diversify your coalition.
- Buddy Program for Member Recruitment
A method for recruiting members to your coalition by connecting with current members.
- Partnering with Community Sectors
A document that describes key community sectors (faith, business, education, schools and government) and tips for understanding and working with each.
- Are You Ready to Evaluate Your Coalition?
15 questions can help you decide whether your coalition is ready to evaluate itself and its work!
- Coalition Initial Needs Assessment
A form for assessing coalition resources, structures and functions.
- Coalition Member Survey
A 49-item survey for members to rate the coalition on aspects related to planning, implementation, leadership, local and statewide involvement, communication, participation, progress and outcomes.
- Coalition Effectiveness Inventory (CEI)
A diagnostic checklist for coalition staff and key leaders to assess coalition effectiveness.
- Meeting Effectiveness Inventory (MEI)
A tool for evaluating work group and coalition meeting effectiveness and productivity.
- Prioritizing Your Strategies
A tool for assessing whether potential strategies fit criteria that are hallmarks of successful ones in order to prioritize the key strategies for your coalition to use.
- Is This Group Really A Coalition?
10 questions that can clarify whether an existing community group is a coalition.
- What to Do When Things Go Wrong
A diagnostic tool that provides guidance on how to deal with common coalition challenges.
Coalition Sustainability Tools
- Key Sustainability Tasks for Coalitions
A graphic model of the Community Coalition Action Theory (CCAT) (Butterfoss & Kegler, 2009) with descriptions of each stage of coalition development and related tasks.
- Coalition Sustainability Characteristics
10 characteristics that help make coalitions sustainable over the long haul.
- 1-Page Organizational Message for Coalitions
Marketing tool that describes your coalition, its purpose and strategic initiatives for funders, potential members and the media.
- Coalition Resource Development Plan
15 steps to help your coalition develop a realistic, durable resource development plan.
- Seven Tips for Retaining Coalition Members
7 sure-fire tactics for keeping your coalition members engaged and active.
- Six Steps to Successful Fund Raising
6 steps to help your coalition realize its fund-raising goals.
- Fostering Innovation in Your Coalition
7 conditions or characteristics that can help assure creativity and innovation in your coalition.
- Should You Disband Your Coalition
Critical questions that your leadership team should ask about whether or not to continue your coalition and its efforts.
- Collective Impact
- 5 essential conditions of collective impact – Which ones do you already have? Which ones do you need to develop or improve?
- Factors that Promote Sustainability
- Checklist that helps your coalition decide where to focus in making sustainability a reality.